Can I use smartNAV for..

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
Kingrudolf

Can I use smartNAV for..

Post by Kingrudolf »

Can I use SmartNAV for both 3d gaming and webdesign? I'm a real creative person, and a perfectionist. So I like to work on the pixel. I read that the SmartNAV is not pixelaccurate.

What type do I need if I want to do webdesign for example? I've seen a demo movie that showed this guy playing Counterstrike, it was located on the SmartNAV site. So can I use smartNAV also for 3d gaming? I mean, what good is the TrackIR then? I'm really confused about this, I preferably want to do both things with one device.

If I want top class stuff, I'm, already paying 400 dollars. You get the point. I hope you provide me with some honest answers, I would be really greatful.

By the way, what about Boost Technology's Tracer? Is it much different (apart from the price)?

Many thanks in advance.
kevin

Re: Can I use smartNAV for..

Post by kevin »

Hello,

The SmartNAV can be used for gaming and web design.

The SmartNAV can also deliver pixel perfect accuracy. Do you remember where you read that it could not? There are some settings you can adjust to get the best performance, including a precision mode which can be toggled when you need the most accuracy.

To do webdesign you would use your head to position the cursor and then click with keys on the keyboard, a palm or foot switch or use our voice clicking feature.

You can use the TrackIR software with our SmartNAV hardware to play 3D games. The TrackIR hardware can not use the SmartNAV software. You can also just use the SmartNAV software to emulate the mouse in games with a mouse look mode.

Boost's Tracer uses gyroscopes and is a different technology requiring use of a headset to track your movements. We only require a small reflective dot.

Hope these answers help.

[ April 03, 2006, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: NaturalPoint - Kevin ]
Kingrudolf

Re: Can I use smartNAV for..

Post by Kingrudolf »

Hello Kevin,

thanks for you answers. I have purchased a SmartNAV, just got it today. I'd like to play Halflife 2 with Counterstrike (or HL1 with CS), I installed and ran the TrackIR software, but I don't get any response in the game. Or do I need to install a specific mod or SDK? If so, where would I download this software?

::Edit::

It seems using the SmartNAV software one can play CS, but the rotation is not smooth at all. The cursor moves as if I was experiencing heavy lag, while the keyboard movement is as smooth as it could be. So what are the recommended options for playing CS? (Using the Source engine)

Many thanks in advance.

Greetings, Rudolf.

[ April 07, 2006, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Kingrudolf ]