New Approach to Old Problem.

Recon

Re: New Approach to Old Problem.

Post by Recon »

Isnt the nose piece uncomfortable? Does it slip off?
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

Just when you sneeze.
Addy

Post by Addy »

My brother is a Tactical c130 pilot. Accordding to FAA rules they have to fly with and aux light ( read flashlight!). He uses a "lip light" This is a tiny led light ( 3 of them) that attaches to the bottom of his mic and can be turned on by "kissing" the switch..it is powered by a 9v battery that attaches to the top of the headset...very compact and light..it should work quite well!! I will try and get him to "lend" me his or get my another one from supply to show a picture of it by itself and attached to his David-Clark headset

[ March 14, 2003, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: Addy ]
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

Would love to see a picture of it! I am in the process of designing the active LED setup right now, so your timing is great.
Addy

Post by Addy »

Jim
Right now my brother is Instructing a mountain tactical course in the Rockies ( talk about intense!! Can you imagine a plane the size of a c130 clearinging a mountain ridge at 200 ft, then 60 deg bank, 60 deg nose down, to slip below the ridge into the valley on the other side!!!) He wont be home until late this week. So I will email you the pictures by next weekend. Hope this is OK.
Infielder

Post by Infielder »

Campmor is a giant internet/mailorder camping supplies retailer which sells a hgh quality "jack strap". It is an elastic band which encircles the head and is slotted to hold a MiniMag brand stainless steel penlight (2 AA bateries).

The slot is on the side of the head above the ear. The idea is a hands free light for night backpacking. The band has velcro to adjust it snugly to the head.

It costs $10.

Anyway, a custom tube the same diameter but longer then a Maglite penlight, with a LED on the front, could extend towards the monitor a few inches closer then the face is.

Easy to adjust and fit the band while watching the trackIR GUI screen. Another easy adjustment is to slide the tube straight forwards and backwards in the slot.

Comfortable, lightweight, and could hold AA batteries.

Just a crazy thought of mine !

[ March 16, 2003, 01:53 AM: Message edited by: Infielder ]
Jim

Post by Jim »

Guys:

Right now we are deciding the form factor and battery type. I am leaning towards two AAA batteries or one CR2032, perhaps rechargable through USB. So many decisions. We will definitely have an extension of some kind to get the LED out there infront of your face. I might start a new thread about this.
Addy

Post by Addy »

Jim
if you have an email address, I got those pictures of the "mic" light kit that my brother uses. It comes with an adapter to run the leds off of 2 AA batterys instead of a 9V one, a pouch to hold the batteries that velcos to the top of your headset. The leds are in a small housing that attaches to the mic, and the switch is built into the backside of the led housing, so it can be turned on with your lip.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Love to see the pics, jim@naturalpoint.com