i wonder if this is possible?

MacMumble

i wonder if this is possible?

Post by MacMumble »

Hi I love my trackir 3 pro and vector expansion
works well in gtr and flight sim but i was wondering if a software addin or dll could be made that would allow me to use the trackir in 3d studio max to rotate and move my models
in 3d space while i am working on them what a time saver that would be
thanx for any repy
Barred

Re: i wonder if this is possible?

Post by Barred »

That would be useful, but I would prefer to have it mapable to a key to have it on or off otherwise It could be very distracting.

It would be great if it was useable in all the main apps, Max, Maya, SI, LightWave, Modo. But as each of them use different code for the perspective rotation, I really can not see it happning unfortunatly, unless enough of a particular app,s users contact the application developer and they contact NP.

Personally I prefer to use LightWaves modeler and then transfer to the required target app (ie Max). Granted there are translation applications but you always have to toouch up the mesh or the mapping to some degree. I am looking onto a modeling application called Modo from http://www.luxology.com/ as this is designed to export nativly into the main 3d apps. All I have to is get the banker (wife) to agree, as I no longer work full time as a freelancer.

Sorry for the OT guys

I still feel it is a good idea though
Jim

Post by Jim »

Good topic. We are looking for programmers with knowledge of the various plugin architectures for all the popular 3D programs mentioned above. We would be happy to put Vector support in to move the perspective, but also for our new OptiTrack line, we need to get the 3D point clouds into the programs.

It seems like there are a million drivers out there to do this, so we just need some people to contact us and offer their services for some free hardware!

The OptiTrack site should be up later this coming week so you can see what we are up to in greater detail.
MacMumble

Post by MacMumble »

Thanx for your reply,I'm affraid that i can't program writing services the only thing i can offer is extensive testing as i am disabled
and don't leave the house often.hope you get the help because my trackir and vector will be on my head all day(maybe i can have one surgically attached...lol)
Barred

Post by Barred »

Same here Mac.
ericd

Post by ericd »

Anyone who uses 3ds Max please contact me at ericd@naturalpoint.com. I'd like to get some feedback about what features you'd like to see in Max.

[ March 25, 2005, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: NaturalPoint - Eric Davison ]
MacMumble

Post by MacMumble »

Well i started it so here my suggestions all on hot keys i would think
1.free movement in the perspective view
2.free movement of the mesh in perspective view
3.full control off selected camera (ie truck,dolly,zoom and axsis movement)
4.a dummy object that can be attach to an object ie:connect a dummy to the biped head
to follow movement of operators head
5.when selecting a 2d view movement left right up and down but no 6dof
other suggestions i have depend on hardware restictions like how many dots a trackir can track at once
well thats a few lets see what else you lot can come up with
pepper

Post by pepper »

I use g-max to develope models, so if you can make it so that it also works in g-max i would be very happy! Would save me heaps of time because i can move and edit in real time!

Here is the link to g-max:
http://www4.discreet.com/gmax/