Track IR axis all messed up

humgoo

Track IR axis all messed up

Post by humgoo »

I have been using Track IR 5.1 for many months and recently moved to a new apartment.

When I set up my computer with track Ir 5 using a trackclip pro, I noticed that when smoothly moving my head back and forth and up and down on the x and Y axis, The z axis seems to be combined with the other axis.

I made a video of it. Notice that the dots on the camera window are green and track normally. I am being very careful to only rotate my head from side to side and up and down, no forward and back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qsNm_BHzqk

I de-installed and re-installed the program. I kept my profiles.

I have been looking for reflective items and light sources in the room and removing them, but the problem is consistent no matter what I find. I have adjusted the camera sensitivity but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

This computer has both WinXP Pro 32x and Win7 Ultimate 64x as a dual-boot setup. The problem is consistent in both OS.

How should I proceed to fix this?

Thanks
NaturalPoint - Mike

Re: Track IR axis all messed up

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

Hello -

Just to make sure, in basic settings do you have trackclip pro selected? You can tell quickly by looking at the camera. If there are 4 dim red lights inside the black shield, you do not have trackclip pro selected as your device.

If the proper device is not selected within the TrackIR software, it can cause issues with tracking such as this, as it's expecting a different geometry between the two clips.
humgoo

Post by humgoo »

I have made sure that the track IR is on track clip pro setting.

It still behaves the same. The camera shows the tracking points smoothly with no obvious interference. When I turn up the IR brightness I see 4 diodes glowing when track clip pro setting is selected.

The system is set up exactly as it was in the old place. Windows on both OS went through several long updates because the computer had not been turned on in 16 days. The problem is exactly the same in WinXP and Win7.
NaturalPoint - Mike

How is the TrackClip Pro positioned on your head, and how is the camera positioned relative to the clip?
humgoo

Post by humgoo »

First of all, I have been using the same setup for over a year and developed a way to hold the trackclip pro on my head with a modified hair band that I can adjust the fit and angle to any position.

I try and make it so that the three tracking points are centered and do not cross over each and turn red. It has worked brilliantly up till now. The camera is mounted to the left of center on the monitor as it always has been.

Since everything is the same with my setup, and that the exact same thing happens in both operating systems, all I can think of is that there is some sort of environmental interference/reflection that I cannot see on the camera screen, there has been a corruption in the installations, or there is a problem with the clip or camera. I will dig out my old standard clip from one of these moving boxes and test that out.

There are a lot of motion activated spotlights around the yard, but they are off in the daytime ... just a thought.

I will set up the track IR on another computer in a different room to check out the environmental aspects.
humgoo

Post by humgoo »

I just found the problem and fixed it

I said I had just moved to a new place. The clip had been placed in a box and during the move, it came off on the pivot point where the diodes are connected. When I set up the system, I put the clip back together ... but upside down.

All good now ...
NaturalPoint - Mike

Ahh, that will do it every time. The geometry is known by the system, and any variance could cause issue.
mnwpro

Post by mnwpro »

I have same issue but it comes and goes , even with identical setups and scenario ? It appears to be the Z Axis moving my head forward. It works for 3 sessions fine then appears out of no where. Even with lights turned low ?
My POV becomes outside the aircraft upside down, or I am looking at the clouds from somewhere on the planet ?? not in the cockpit.
I have adjust the angle of the LEDs on my head - the camera angle etc. I am going to move the camera to the bottom of my screen for testing. This has been a major annoyance since I start using TRACKIR - I am about to try the wireless options from somewhere, see if the hardware is the issue.
Regards,
marc
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello mnwpro,

Is the TrackIR software showing the correct orientation and movement of the dots, even when it is not translated correctly in the game? Are you able to test with the TrackClip (hat clip) to see if it is tracking normally? When using the TrackClip Pro, make sure it is oriented as described in the guide: https://d1rhoi6onixddn.cloudfront.net/d ... _23.06.pdf.

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
TrackIR Support Representative