Blue-sky question - ever possible to get 30' capture?

VincentG

Re: Blue-sky question - ever possible to get 30' capture?

Post by VincentG »

We haven't tested a volume that large yet, although it may work. We plan to test once we have the additional space required.

Our current on-location rig has a setup area of 30'*30' which provides a capture area of 20'*20' +
bsteagal

Post by bsteagal »

About what I thought....now, is it technically possible to reach a 30x30 capture volume? and how many cameras would you need?
Bryan Steagall
Owner
Kidz Korner Studio
OptiTrack Distributor
Mexico, Central and South America
505-615-2410
bryan@kkstudio.us
www.kkstudio.us
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

I discussed this with Jim recently and he was leaning towards a 48 250e camera setup.
The_Nomad

Post by The_Nomad »

Veeeery interesting. Thanks.

How many cameras are you running on that rig>? I'm guessing they're the new s250 ones?
JustinDenton

Post by JustinDenton »

Hey Nomad & Bryan,

We are upgrading our volume to the s250 setup with 30' x 24' camera spacing. As soon as we get set up, I will be sure to post what our footprint versus usable capture volume is along with overall performance gains as well.

Currently we are running 24 R1's with a 22'x 22' footprint and we get around 12' x 11' actor capture and 14' x 14' Insight VCS capture.
vvortex3

Post by vvortex3 »

I am also curious about this. Worldviz achieves this by using intertial sensors for orientation and visual sensors for position. It seems to me that their cameras are lower resolution and framerate than the Optitrack ones (yet somehow more expensive). Would it be possible to use 250e cameras for position only at an extended range while using other sensors for only orientation?
leith

Post by leith »

That seams feasible. Though its probably not possible in Arena. No SDK.

Hybrid mocap systems are always interesting but I keep coming back to optical for real production work. I don't like the idea of putting expensive hardware on the actor, who most certainly needs to roll around on the ground and stuff.

Markers aren't cheap. But when they get clobbered it doesn't set me back hundreds of dollars every time.
Eduardo1972b

Post by Eduardo1972b »

Hi Vincent, you mentioned that you have 20x20 capture area, how many cameras and which model you are using?

Thanks

Eduardo
ProjectPalitoy

Post by ProjectPalitoy »

[quote=Bryan Steagall]Nomad

yes, I was referring to the active markers.. you have to build the leds, power them, turn off the ir on the cameras. The building and powering is the hard part...

I'm interested in the 250's and what size of capture volume you can achieve with them too.. alas, I don't have the budget to buy them quite yet...

cheers [/quote]

We use very small red LED markers on set to assist with the matchmove process. To build a similar marker is not that hard at all. Just change the type of diode from the red and greens that we use onset for an IR one. You can buy the correct diodes in bulk on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Epitex-L850-36up- ... _500wt_898

The basic premise is:

1 hearing aid battery
1 850nm diode, that has two connectors comming from its base
1 length of thin rubber / plastic tubing half the width of the battery

insert battery into rubber tube so that it covers the battery faces.

Trim tube

Then insert battery into tubing. The small size of the tubing should ensure a tight fit.

Then insert diode prongs either side of the battery cell. one for + one for -.

Use super strong velcro on the rear of the pack.

Bing

Entire footprint of the little fella is no more larger than the power cell used

End of the shoot, remove diode from the pack. It slips out just the same way it slipped in, and the tight nature of the sleeve ensures it stays in place.

Ideal for general mocap. falls and stunts probably not advisable, unless you pack and protect your new IR diode markers.

have fun

http://project-palitoy.com/mocap/IR_Markers.jpg