what's everyone doing?

leith

what's everyone doing?

Post by leith »

Thought I'd start more of a social/wassup thread.

So what's everyone doing/planning on doing with their Arena/Optitrack system?

Personally, I'm doing a few things. I'm setting up a small mocap service company in Venice CA. I'll leverage both Arena and my own custom software for the service company. I'm developing custom software for the cameras that I may or may not license... not sure yet. I'm also planning on using the system to produce a 5-10 minute short animated piece to try and kick off the creative development half of my company.

What's anyone else doing? Hows it going?

-brad
seanboyette

Re: what's everyone doing?

Post by seanboyette »

Hey Brad -
That is nice to hear - I am planning on doing the same (small mocap service company) in Tampa, FL.
I am not currently writing any software, as motionbuilder/arena currently are fitting my needs - and hopefully a facial output will be in naturalpoints future.

I just finished building a small rig in my rather large garage, and will shoot some images once its complete - I am pretty happy with it so far and will be adding a few more cams to the whole rig.

Sean
leith

Post by leith »

A garage... I'm jealous. Venice is good for industry proximity but very bad for space. Oh what I would do for a garage... or basement....

I'm originally an east-coaster. They don't know what a basement is out here :) I have to explain that its like underground parking... without the cars or the driveway access.
nildo

Post by nildo »

Hi Guys,

I'm still waiting for my system to arrive at my doorstep:(:(...i hope it's soon..:)

For starters, I'm gonna use it to make 10 episodes of 5Min each all 3d animated promoting children's rights for this NGO...

And then after thats done im gonna make my long awaiting 3d movie:)

I'm Hoping to "break new ground" here :), its Mozambique (almost the end of the world:)) so this will certainly be very new to many people here...

cant wait to start using that thing:):)

Nildo
seanboyette

Post by seanboyette »

Souns exciting nildo!

Congrats - I thin you will be excited.
are your plans to capture 5 min solid of animation?

Sean
markdc

Post by markdc »

Hello,

I've made several short films in the past and now that I have my own mocap system, I'm making a feature (in pre-production). One of my shorts: Destiny .

I'm located north of San Diego, CA about half-way to LA.
If any of the new guys need help with the system, just ask. We (beta testers) have probably encountered every issue that you might come across.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Cool thread, we are building a community!

Thanks for the offer to help the new users, I think community support will be critical for Arena, as with the new price point a lot of people can afford their own mocap system that might not have that much direct experience with the technology. That being said, we have put a lot of effort into making the software and setup as easy as possible.

There are a bunch of new training videos here:
http://www.naturalpoint.com/optitrack/p ... orial.html

We also are welcoming anyone who wants to come up to Oregon to see our setup and try out Arena in person.

In the last 30 days we have given a lot more demos than I thought we would have, and more to come this month.
nildo

Post by nildo »

Hey guys,

I have to do about 10 episodes of 5 minutes EACH...so most of the movie will be mocaped yes...

It seems (according to Vincent) that my system has been delayed because of markers:(:(, i guess they are waiting for it to be available...i just hope its not too long:P

And yes thank you for your offer of support..I'm definitely gonna need it...it will be our 1st time as i said:):)

PLEASE have those markers ready as soon as possible:):):):):)

Nil
Jim

Post by Jim »

Sorry about the marker delay. We had a lot of storms up here in the Pacific NorthWest and they actually closed I-5, the trucking route the markers are stuck on. So, it is actually an Act of God, which I never thought I would see used in a contract to delay a shipment, but here we go! The shipments are all ready to go out the door, packaged up, just waiting for UPS to show up.
nildo

Post by nildo »

Hi Jim...

Its ok...i understand:)

I just got an email from Your Sales saying it has been shipped and i have a tracking number:).

Please don't forget to give me the UPS website when they come to pick it up later..

thx alot!!

Nil:)